Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Clothing

Since my son and I are both men, the comments her will focus on men's clothing.

1.  People tend to dress reasonably well.
2.  A sport-coat (with or without tie) for men is not needed unless one were meeting with high-level government officials.
3.  I uniformly warm long-serve collared button-downed shorts available at REI or LL Bean.  I purchased non-cotton, quick dry, materials.  Some of these are already pre-treated with insect repellent.  Virtually all these shirts are easy to roll up the sleeves (and have built in buttons and tabs for this purpose).  Consequently, I never wore a short sleeve shirt.  Longer sleeves are fine in during hot weather, even in cities.  I like these types of shirts because they are confortable and designed to avoid wrinkles, smell, and can be washed out and hung to draw over two nights and be dry (some are dry after one night).  So the three-short sleeved button down shirts and the four halfway decent T-shirts were not needed at all, except as a pajama top.

4.  All my underwear was quick dry (not 100 percent cotton), so I could wash out a pair or two easily if I wasn't having laundry done.  I also had quick dry hiking socks (which need to be at least "crew" high because of army-ant's potentially climbing up your leg to bite you.  It also gives you a way to tuck your long pants into your socks to guard against insect invation.  The socks I purchased were dedicated hiking socks, some of which look more that regular dress socks.  (You can find all sorts of socks at the websites AmazingSocks or SocksPerts.)  Look at the features and color -- i.e., designed for hot weather or cold weather, quick dry, etc.

5.  I brought along one hoodie sweatshirt with a zipper for a cold night (the coldest was maybe 40 degrees Farenheit).  I wore a T-shirt under a shirt one day.  Never a jacket, be it a sport jacket or rain jacket, was necessary.

6.  Deeping on whether you plan to do laundry, you can reduce the amount of clothing items you take.  (Though always travel in your carry-on luggage underwear, socks, and a change of clothes to mitigate the consequences from the risk that your luggage will not be successfully directed to Kigali along with your body.)

7.  My 17 year old son would often way short sleeve T-sheets during the day, and even at dinner.  He got sunburned.  He didn't feel conspicuous at dinner for example, but his shirts were not beer adds or torn up, and his were nice-looking cotton T shirts from, e.g., Old Navy or American Apparel.  That said, I think he should put on a long sleeve botton down.  What I did was use that clean shirt for dinner and hike in that same shirt the next morning.  Neither of us ever wore short paints in publc.  The locals certainly do not. 

8. The nicer hotels have laundry services.   But if you don't have that, then I would (and was equipped with)  (i) flat universal sink stopper; (ii) laundry soap (I like the Sea-to-Summit brand which uses shaved off strips of soap); and (iii) the "flex one" expandable laundry cord whcih you can attach in a few places in a room.  I would consider bring two inflatable hangars only because (i) some rooms may not have hangers for your clothers and (ii) you should want to dry out a shirt on a hanger with a broader sholder that is broader than a wire hangar.

No comments:

Post a Comment